Pre Surgery – how to get the best surgical results
Most people know that after surgery comes rehab – in fact for most people that’s probably the first thing they think of for physiotherapy!
And rehab is really, really important – but I’ll talk about that next time.
Before we get started on what to do after surgery – let’s talk about what to do BEFORE surgery.
Different types of surgery
Obviously there are many different types of surgery for a huge range of reasons. So I’m going to cover some broad general themes and then focus on the surgery types we most commonly support during rehab.
I asked Lisa, our Digestive Expert for her tips on what to eat pre-surgery:
“With surgery comes anaesthetic and medication. And that leads to constipation! For those who occasionally struggle with their bowels I recommend my Pooping Protocol along with an anti-inflammatory diet!
Start this about 1 week before surgery
- Take around 500-600mgs of Magnesium BisGlycinate in the evening – after dinner or before bed.
- Saccharomyces Boulardii, this is a Probiotic Capsule and you can get it in a health food store (herboristeria) or the pharmacy. Take 2 capsules daily and continue this for 2-3months post surgery.
- The key ingredient: Soak up 2-3 good tablespoons of Whole Chia Seeds in a little water overnight. This will be thick and gloopy in the morning but it will help your digestive system flow more easily and also increase its efficiency.”
Yup, that’s exercises you do BEFORE surgery. Particularly important for knee and hip operations (detailed videos at the links), but also important before most surgery, orthopaedic or not!
Recent research on a wide range of cancer patients given prehab showed:
- Shorter stay in hospital
- Less post treatment complications
- Better recovery
- Enhance quality of life
- Improved cardiorespiratory fitness
- Improved nutrition
- Improved neuro-cognitive function
In 2020 one of the biggest issues is waiting for surgery. Many hospitals have changed protocols and priorities and are struggling with even longer waiting lists.
Prehab can help to make you more comfortable and manage your pain while you are waiting for surgery.
If you need a personalised program please call us on 952 883 151 or via WhatsApp on 699703936 or send an email to [email protected] or you can book a free telephone consultation online.
Leave a Reply