Love yourself, love your health

Take Charge in 2015

In the run up to Christmas many of us put off dealing with niggling health issues or concerns – we don’t want bad news just before the holidays or we simply don’t have time to start anything that may take a while to resolve. So January becomes the time when we can finally do something.

Many of us make New Year’s resolutions to “lose weight” and “get fit” but perhaps we should also think about our health for the coming year. Maybe on your list of New Year’s resolutions should be getting that pain in your back or your knees sorted or finally getting that skin problem or that mole checked.

So why not make 2015 the year you take charge of your health?  Here are a few tips.

Get to know your body.

Pay attention and get to know your body. Any changes can indicate problems.  Key changes to look out for are:

·    any changes to your bowel movements

·    changes in colour or size of moles

·    for women, any changes to the skin or feel of your breasts or pain in the pelvic region.

Don’t wait!

If you are in pain or discomfort and this has been going on for more than 48 hours, get professional help! The sooner you get professional help the quicker the problem will be resolved and importantly, the cheaper will be the cost!

Ask Questions

Being sick and in pain is scary stuff but when it comes to your body, you are your own best advocate so you need to take charge. If you aren’t 100% happy with the advice or recommendations that have been given, get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion . All health care professionals should be confident enough in their recommendations that they are happy if you seek another opinion.  Also, always ask WHY something is being recommended and ask what other options there may be. Taking drugs or getting an injection may not be the only option for you.

Get a health check

We all know that our cars work better if we get them serviced regularly, in fact manufacturers often won’t honour a guarantee without such servicing.  Our bodies are far more complex than cars so get a check-up – a review that all your systems are working and that there are no “warning lights”.   This is money well spent if it means you can prevent more serious problems from occurring later.

Think about what doctors can’t fix

The conventional healthcare system affects as little as 10% of your health. The remaining 90% of health outcomes are determined by factors over which only you have control, lifestyle choices, social conditions and your environment. Take steps to enhance your own well being and you’ll be healthier than relying solely on the healthcare system.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.