Magnetic Migraines – Pulsing, Pounding Migraine?
Migraines are notoriously difficult to treat. They often don’t respond very well to medication or the medication itself can have unwanted side effects.
And you usually know they’re coming . . . .
Migraines with Aura
Some people experience symptoms before an attack called an aura.
- flashing lights, zigzag patterns or blind spots in your vision
- stiffness, a tingling sensation or pins and needles in your neck or shoulders
- feeling disoriented or off balance
- difficulty speaking
- poor concentration
At this point you probably reach for your medication, resigned to staying in a darkened room for the next 1 – 3 days.
Is there another way?
For some sufferers, yes, there is.
NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) in the UK which determines which treatments the NHS can offer has, since 2013, offered Pulsed Magnetic Treatment for migraine sufferers.
In the clinical trials 40% of migraine patients who were treated were found to be migraine free just 2 hours after treatment. They were still migraine free 24 hours later. 75% of patients who received a course of treatment had a marked reduction in frequency and severity of treatment and required less medication.
How does it work?
There are 2 main treatment routes depending on your headaches.
- Migraine with aura – when the symptoms that lead to a migraine start you have a single treatment to prevent that migraine.
- All types of Migraine – or you can have a course of treatments even when you don’t have symptoms to help reduce frequency and severity of migraines long term.
This means that for those people who are struggling with their medication, or perhaps can’t take it for certain periods for other reasons – there is another way.
Here at Bodyworks we offer pulsed Magnetic Resonance Therapy which can be used to treat migraines. Sadly the hand held devices mentioned in some articles aren’t on the market yet here in Spain but we hope to get some of these for our patients in the next 12 months as soon as they have EU approval. In the meantime we can offer emergency migraine appointments in the clinic with our MRT machine as well as longer term treatment to reduce frequency and severity of migraines.